Re: Disk heads won't park

On 17/02/2014 08:09, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> [...]
>
> Short of unplugging the drives one by one, is there a way i can a)
> discover/confirm which one is thrashing about? and b) make it stop?
> I've seen hdparm -s is not recommended, and i'm not sure if whichever
> drive it is it supports the required power management feature (they
> all support "Power Management feature set", but other power-related
> features vary).

You can try using smartctl to check the status of the drive(s) in question (e.g.
"smartctl -H /dev/sda", though this is just a real quick check - check the man
page for all options) .  There is (IIRC) also a monitoring daemon that can be
set up ... though I've never used it, and don't recall the name.

-Dan