Re: Monitor Resolution Problems

On 02/16/2014 11:09 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I purchased a new monitor and I am having problems with the resolution.

As I understand it, there is a serial communications link between graphics adapters and monitors associated with the acronym "EDID". As with other digital communications systems, it requires multiple layers of standards- and protocol-compliant hardware and software to "work". So, lots of opportunities for Murphy's Law.

In my case, I have an IOGEAR GCS78 KVM switch between my monitor and computers, and it lacks an "EDID pass-through" feature. Therefore, the Xorg drivers in my computers can't get the information they need from the monitor, default to "safe" display settings much lower than desired, and no higher settings are shown in the desktop manager display settings applet.

My solution is old-school -- create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration file with the proper settings. If everything up from there works, the xorg.conf settings will appear in the display settings applets.

Assuming that both your graphics adapter and monitor are, in fact, capable of running at the resolution and refresh rate you want, learning how to create a suitable xorg.conf file is a matter of RTFM and STFW. I'd suggest starting with:

    man xorg.conf

    man Xorg   (note -configure option)

    man cvt

I boot into safe mode to run 'Xorg -configure'. I use the "cvt" tool to generate Modeline entries for monitors. I set my resolution and refresh rate in xorg.conf (rather than via desktop tools) with the line 'Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200_75.00"'.

My xorg.conf file follows. Getting your setup working will likely be a matter of running 'Xorg -configure' and then editing in the correct monitor settings by hand. Login and logout events seem to cause Xorg to re-read /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but mistakes can cause Xorg to hang. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace used to kill X and get me back to a shell prompt; if that doesn't work, it's either SSH in and issue a shutdown command or push the reset button.

HTH,

David

2014-02-16 13:03:48 dpchrist@i72600s ~
$ grep -v '#' /etc/X11/xorg.conf | egrep '^.+$'
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
	FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
	FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection
Section "Module"
	Load  "dri2"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "glx"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Nokia"
	ModelName    "445XiPlus"
	HorizSync    30-110
	VertRefresh  50-150
Modeline "1600x1200_75.00" 204.75 1600 1720 1888 2176 1200 1203 1207 1255 -hsync +vsync
	Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200_75.00"
EndSection
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel"