Re: [SOLVED] Re: systemd: some questions

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 06:57:36PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 13. Februar 2014, 16:05:47 schrieb Jonathan Dowland:
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 03:16:12PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > > Maybe I missed something? Or is systemd still not working with
> > > encrypted partitions? There was nothing in the doc about it (as far as
> > > I read)
> >
> > I use systemd with encrypted partitions without problems.
> >
> > Can you boot the machine, and at the grub prompt, edit the command line
> > and confirm what the 'init=' argument is? Additionally if there's a
> > "quiet" option on the command line, please delete it and try to boot.
> > Does that show any diagnostic information?
>
> All right, I guess, I found the solution by removing quiet the grub
> commandline.
>
> For those, who got into the same problem as me, here is what I did:
>
> As I wanted to choose between automatically lock up my encrypted partitions by
> an usb stick or by hand, I commented out the following line in /etc/fstab
>
> # /dev/disk/by-label/UIT-KEY    /media          vfat    uid=0,gid=0,umask=277
> 0       0

I have noticed this with systemd, too. Under SysV, you can have a line
like the above and it's treated as "If the above device is available,
mount it, otherwise display an error (but the boot will continue to run,
if possible)". Under systemd, though, the assumption appears to be that
if you listed it in /etc/fstab, then it's a dependency for boot. So
mount service will wait for a minute or so for the device to become
ready and, if it doesn't (because the device isn't plugged in), you'll
get dropped to an emergency shell. You could get around this by adding
"noauto" to the options, but then the device won't get mounted at all.

I don't know (haven't looked actually, but I hope some kind soul knows
the answer) if there's an option that says "This device is optional, but
if it IS there, mount it at boot".