Re: ssh host ip/id management for dynamic dns servers

On 12/02/2014 13:30, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20140212_200320, Lars Noodén wrote:
On 02/12/2014 07:34 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
Question: Suppose I encounter this situation of the 'known host' having
moved to a different IP address (or a different URL?), is there a way
to discover whether the change is due to a proper functioning DynDNS,
or to a somewhat unstealthy man-in-the-middle operation? ...

[...]

A changing IP leads to filling known_hosts with lots of entries, which
is what Zenaan's original question was about.  After the first entry for

Yes, but I asked an OT question. The key in knownhosts file is surely
not a private key of the host.  Rather it is a key that the host
publishes to identify itself to all incoming traffic. What keeps a
good person, like an well meaning employee of the NSA, from making a
copy of the published key and using the copy to spoof the site, in
order to check up on the legitimacy of the use of the ssh connection?

The Host ID is based off the SSH private key left on that machine. So the only way for your friendly neighborhood NSA agent to generate a duplicate host ID is for them to have a copy of your server's private key.

-Dan