Re: network setup for xen on a laptop

Henning Follmann,  7.02.2014:
> Hello,
> I just setup a laptop for development.
> I usually have multiple XEN instances for development purposes. My previous
> setup was a desktop with e static ethernet setup. that was fairly easy.
> I had one iface br0 instance in my /etc/network/interfaces
>
> With the laptop it is different. Most of the time I still use a ethernet
> connection. Here I basically use the same setup. I have a br instance in my
> interfaces.
> I noticed however that the networkmanager (which I use for wifi) knocks
> this out. After switching a wifi connection on and off again all the
> settings the ethernet got through dhcp were overwritten.
>
> So know I wonder if there is a "right" way to manage bridge setups for xen.
> Is it best to keep everything in /etc/network/interfaces? WIFI too?
> How to I bridge the wifi too?
> And how do I deal in this case with different wifi locations?
>
> I am open to any suggestions.

I don't know anything about bridging but I might be able to help with
your wired ethernet dhcp settings getting messed up by network manager.
To fix that, I have the following in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true
This lets the traditional /e/n/i setup and network manager work together
nicely.  (I forgot what keyfile does.  It's probably unrelated.)

(You'll have to restart network manager for this to take effect.)