Re: How to use de "update" CDs?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 04:47:30PM -0200, Markos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm planning to download the CDs :
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso
>

> and
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-i386-CD-2.iso
>

> to install Wheezy on a laptop.
>
> But I don't know how to use the CDs "Update".
> debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD ...
>
> Please, how do I use these CDs?
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-1.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-2.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-3.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-4.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-5.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-6.iso
>  debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-7.iso
>
> I put them with additional CDs during installation or use after
> installation?
>
> Thanks for any tip.
>
> Markos
>
> <http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-update-7.3.0-i386-CD-1.iso>

With a good speed internet connection, you might be able to use just the netinst CD and install the rest from the network.

If you use CDs, you can probably arrange to use just the first xfcd-CD-1.iso to install a basic system. A full Debian system
with no access to the network might use all of the CDs / DVDs.

The update CDs are meant to be used to update a system using a previous version to the current version - if you had a system
running 7.2 and no network access, you could bring a 7.2 system up to 7.3

Today, it might be worth waiting a day - Debian released 7.4 over the weekend and updated install CDs witll shortly be available which will
install 7.4

If you have 7.3 CDs for disk1 and disk2 then once you've got the laptop on the 'net, you can update immediately to 7.4 without needing any further
media.

Hope this helps,

AndyC