Re: installing debian

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 10:49:10AM +0000, Robin wrote:
> On 9 February 2014 08:52, Allan H <allanh1946@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was referred to you..
> > Is it possible to totally replace the android system on my 7" asus memo with
> > debian?
> > Thank you
> > Allan
> >

> Haven't tried it but check out
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid
>

> --
> rob
>

> --

Rather than blow away Android completely at this point, today, you might want to look at the Ubuntu touch
offerings which may allow you to dual-boot.

[This only because Debian is more widely focussed on all sorts of things other than
wholly on ARM tablets, because Ubuntu are pushing for this Ubuntu touch infrastructure at the moment,
and because Ubuntu are certifying on various hardware - the likelihood is that Debian can't match
Ubuntu today on that platform but may well at some point.]

ARM tablets are a problem because of non-free blobs of firmware, SOC hardware and closed components
- it's getting better and ARM is rapidly becoming more widely supported but it's not as straightforwardly
mainstream as the PC architecture.

Hope this helps,

AndyC