Re: How to block kernel updates

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 February 2014 12:29:30 Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 6:32 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> aptitude has just upgraded me automatically from 3.10-x bpo to
>>> 3.11-x bpo then to 3.12-0 bpo. I imagine it depends on what it
>>> has been told to do: safe-upgrade or full-upgrade.
>>
>> Irrespective of upgrade/safe-upgrade and dist-upgrade/full-upgrade,
>> linux-image won't be bumped up to a later kernel version if you
>> don't have "linux-image-<arch>" installed.
>
> But recently (maybe a week or two?) I did have the earlier kernels
> installed, so it must upgrade the linux-image it uses - which surely
> comes in the end to the same thing?
>
> I did not install the metapackage deliberately, in fact I didn't know
> it was there before this thread. I installed kernel 3.10 from
> backports, which updated automatically first to to 3.11 and then to
> 3.12. Had I wanted it not to upgrade, would I have needed to search
> out the metapackage and remove it? Or hold it, of course.

What I meant by "kernel version" was 3.2, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12.

So linux-image-am64 in wheezy, wheezy-updates, wheezy/updates, will
only pull in minor versions of 3.2. For example the latest upgrade is
from 3.2.51-1 to 3.2.54-2.

And linux-image-amd64 in wheezy-backports will pull in 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, ...

You're given a choic in d-i to install the metapackage or a specific
linux-image (perhaps only in expert mode).

I'd remove linux-image-amd64 rather than hold it if you don't want
your kernel to be upgraded to 3.13 when it becomes available, but I'd
check first whether 3.12 will keep on receiving security patches.