Re: How to block kernel updates

On Saturday 08 February 2014 12:29:30 Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 6:32 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 February 2014 09:40:43 Chris Bannister wrote:
> >> AFAIUI, if the package has a different name, as newer releases
> >> of kernels do, then APT won't consider it an update, it is just
> >> another package.
> >
> > aptitude has just upgraded me automatically from 3.10-x bpo to
> > 3.11-x bpo then to 3.12-0 bpo. I imagine it depends on what it
> > has been told to do: safe-upgrade or full-upgrade.
>
> Irrespective of upgrade/safe-upgrade and dist-upgrade/full-upgrade,
> linux-image won't be bumped up to a later kernel version if you
> don't have "linux-image-<arch>" installed.

<quote>
lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude show linux-image-amd64
Package: linux-image-amd64
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 3.12+55~bpo70+1
 This package depends on the latest Linux kernel and modules for use
on PCs with AMD64,
 Intel 64 or VIA Nano processors.

 This kernel also runs on a Xen hypervisor.  It supports both
privileged (dom0) and
 unprivileged (domU) operation.

lisi@Tux-II:~$#
</quote>

But recently (maybe a week or two?) I did have the earlier kernels
installed, so it must upgrade the linux-image it uses - which surely
comes in the end to the same thing?

I did not install the metapackage deliberately, in fact I didn't know
it was there before this thread.  I installed kernel 3.10 from
backports, which updated automatically first to to 3.11 and then to
3.12.  Had I wanted it not to upgrade, would I have needed to search
out the metapackage and remove it?  Or hold it, of course.

Lisi