Re: d-i partion size defaults insufficient (was ... Re: upgrade problem)

On 07/02/14 19:17, Roelof Wobben wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:25:47 +1100
>> From: scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: d-i partion size defaults insufficient (was ... Re: upgrade problem)
>>
>> On 07/02/14 14:07, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>> CC'ing debian-boot
>>>
>>> Seems as though Roelof is now in space trouble.
>>> He says he followed the d-i's suggestions
>>> Thread starts here:
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/msg00269.html

>>> Not too good is it. Now look at the situation you are in. I think I've
>>> been bitten by that in the past.
>>>
>>> It seems strange why more people aren't being affected by this, though.

>>> Ouch!

>>> Have you tried Scott's suggestion of using deborphan (provides orphaner)
>>> to see if you can free up some room? Although, I think you'll be lucky to
>>> free up the required amount.
>>
>> Agreed. Though I'd try the following first just to check:-
>> $ deborphan -sz
>
> Did not work. Still the same problem.

deborphan found no orphans?

If so:-
# apt-get --purge remove `deborphan`

That'll prevent upgrade from upgrading packages you don't use.

>> Another possibility is to re-mount (or bind) /lib somewhere with more space
>
> How can I do that ?

>From "man mount"
Since Linux 2.4.0 it is possible to remount part of the file hierarchy
somewhere  else.
              The call is
                     mount --bind olddir newdir
              or shortoption
                     mount -B olddir newdir
              or fstab entry is:
                     /olddir /newdir none bind

After  this  call the same contents is accessible in two places.  One
can also remount a
              single file (on a single file). It's also possible to use
the bind  mount  to  create  a
              mountpoint from a regular directory, for example:

                     mount --bind foo foo

You might also want to consider my suggestion to move some of /lib (for
the upgrade process only) to a slice with space, and symlink the moved
directories back to /lib.

Given your situation I'd strongly recommend downloading the upgrade
packages *before* doing the actual upgrade.  e.g.:-
# apt-get -d dist-upgrade
followed by:-
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Of course that advice may be too late....

> Roelof

Kind regards