Fwd: Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

resent to list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning
advice.
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 22:25:18 +1100
From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>
To: Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com>

On 07/02/14 16:01, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
>> Defining "desktop" is the tricky bit (to some it only means where the
>> box sits). In this instance I've assumed the OP means office apps, bit
>> of gaming, internet apps - so I'd go go for a two slice setup, with a
>> separate / and /home, with and a swap file. For a similar "desktop" in a
>> business environment it'd be SOE rules so I would use more partitions
>> (backup and rollout planning would be a nightmare otherwise - not to
>> mention support contract negotiation headaches).
>>

> Hi, I would like to set up an environment for development and programming.
> So I guess I will have to separate out the /usr and / part and keep
> /home on a different
> partition too.

Not mandatory, given the size of cheap external drives, but handy *if*
you set the appropriate sizes (you may only know the right size from
personal experience). I'd strongly recommend a separate /home.
In general I use multiple slices, if only because it's easier to hunt a
fish in ponds than in oceans (poor analogy for indexes).

Kind regards