Re: I can not install Debian because UEFI 32-bit

On 02/06/2014 09:23 PM, Renaud15000 . wrote:
Hello, I am contacting you because I am confronted with the impossibility to install Linux on my computer because it has a 32-bit UEFI (without Legacy BIOS mode, although the processor is an x64) and all distributions Linux compatible EFI is 64-bit. My computer is a netbook Packard Bell easynote ME69BMP. I saw on the internet that other computers now are emerging (such as the HP Envy X2) with the same problem.

That is why I ask you, as a user of Linux, develop a version of Debian UEFI-compatible 32-bit. In the hope of one day being able to install Linux on my netbook.

Thank you.
Don't know how you feel about other versions of Linux. The 'buntus are available for installation using mbr. So is PCLinuxOs. I just recently installed (2 weeks ago) Kubuntu 13.10 32-bit on a machine that has no UEFI. PCLOS has 32-bit versions available, that use classic grub. I am partial to the KDE desktop, so that's what I use on PCLOS and other distros I try, if it's available, but other desktops are available on most distros. If you need a lightweight version, LXDE and XFCE are 'buntus--
Lubuntu and Xubuntu. They are also available in PCLOS, and other distros.

I'm not sure how you determine whether a particular version or distro you're looking at uses mbr or one of the UEFI systems without actually downloading and burning it, and trying to install it. If there is a list somewhere, I'd like to know, and so, I imagine, would a batch of other people. Also, there is the problem of oddball file systems, like LVM. When I tried to install one of the distros, it was LVM, which means ordinary partitioning tools don't work, and you can't read an LVM-coded fs from a standard Linux, like PCLOS or Kubuntu, or Mint. I don't know if it works the other way--if you can read a standard fs from
an LVM-encoded Linux, or even if you can access Windows files.

I think the LVM was invented to employ really large hard drives, in excess of 4TB. I don't ever expect to need anything that big!

--doug