Re: PXE install, without internet?

On 06/02/14 14:54, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
>> Please post:-
>> /etc/dhcpd.conf
>> /etc/default/dhcp3-server
>
> Like I said, these files are not there on my box!

Sorry, I haven't been monitoring the list.

(I don't currently have access to a pxe server, so you'll need to check
my memory). Try:-
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

ensure "authoritative;" and "ddns-update-style none;" are un-commented
(if you haven't done so already)

# grep dhcp /var/log/syslog | tail -n 32

To see current leases and compare against configured number of leases
(lease address range) in order to determine how many free addresses are
available, consult:-
/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

> Also just wanted to say that the guys at our college has something called
> cyberoam filter, which also acts as a dhcp server, but now the dhcp
> server is disabled.

I assume you mean the dhcp server on the cyberoam device has been disabled..
. and yes, more than one dhcp server on the LAN can cause problems. If
you the cyberoam device is the LAN DNS server I'm not sure what the best
solution would be (Cyberoam is non-user user-friendly, otherwise not so
much).
Temporarily isolate the LAN segment you are working with from the DNS
server?

Perhaps the administrators will add a directive for the pxe server and
tftp server. From what limitations I recall of the web interface they'd
need to use a serial console and edit dhcpd.conf (based on what you
already have on your DNS) to add:-
next-server "yourTftpServer"
file name "pxelinux.0"

I'm not certain about how you'd modify dnsmasq on it.

I'd also try starting an install with just two boxes, one that
previously failed and one that previously succeeded - starting the
previously failed one first.

> For starters I installed the server packages from this guide.
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3
>
> And the dns and tftp configurations was done using this guide.
> http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-a-pxe-install-server-for-multiple-linux-distributions-on-debian-lenny
>
> And finally placed the tftp boot files in the directory as specified
> in the official debian guide.
> https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall#Set_up_TFTP_server

The last reference looks good, and refers to the following.

This is a good guide:-
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s05.html.en

Kind regards.