Re: A persistent name for a sound device.

On 03/02/14 15:12, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> I'm interested to make a persistent name for a sound device.
> The output of "udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/... )" follows.
> What exactly is meant by the last sentence of the introductory paragraph?
> Must the first match occur in the first stanza of the info?

No. (if you mean in the udev rule)

> Does "one single
> parent device" allow the direct parent only?

There are a number of parent devices, don't try and match for more than
one value per parent device.

> Can the attributes belong to the
> grandparent or great-grandparent?

Yes.

I thought the man page was the best guide, but you may find this better:-
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

> This is one rule I've tried.
> SUBSYSTEM=="sound", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0d8c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0008", SYMLINK+="USBspeakers"
> None of my rules have yielded a SYMLINK.

How about the following?:-

KERNEL=="controlC3", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0d8c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0008",
SYMLINK+="USBspeakers" GROUP=="sound"

or. same thing(?) without trying for two matches from the same parent,
and 'trying' to match particular card output:-
KERNEL=="controlC3", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0008", ATTRS{id}=="Device",
ATTRS{product}=="C-Media USB Audio Device   ", SYMLINK+="USBspeakers"
GROUP=="sound"

> Thanks for any ideas,                     ... Peter E.

It might help if you posted the full path of the udev rule in case that
(it's name and location) is a problem.

> root@dalton:/home/peter# udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/snd/by-id/usb-0d8c_C-Media_USB_Audio_Device-00)

<snipped>

Kind regards