Re: May I introduce to you ..... 'beeb'

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:58:45 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 02/01/2014 08:13 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > May I introduce to you ‘beeb’ the all-singing, all-dancing, upgrade
> > to ‘get-iplayer’!
> >
> > The BBC has some superb radio and TV programmes, some of which they
> > have released into the public domain and which can be downloaded
> > using ‘get-iplayer’, and then can be played with your choice of
> > viewer. This script will -
> >
> > 	* Check to see if you have 'get-iplayer/get_iplayer'
> > installed. If not it will prompt you to install it.
> > 	* Creates the directory where the 'beeb-tv.txt &
> > 	  beeb-radio.txt' files are stored.
> > 	* Downloads the current radio programme feed,
> > 	* Allows you to put the programme numbers in to download,
> > and tell you how much more you can download in this session,
> > 	* Downloads the programmes,
> > 	* Then downloads the current TV programme feed,
> > 	* Allows you to put the programme numbers in to download,
> > and tell you how much more you can download in this session,
> > 	* Downloads the programmes,
> > 	* Asks you if you want to create a playing list of the radio
> > 	  programmes that can then be used by MPD.
> >
> > You can get 'beeb' from either my blog 'A taste of linux' or from my
> > bitbucket - https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots
> >
> > Any problems, or further instruction required, please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharon.
> My distro does not include iplayer. Will "beeb" tv play on a
> common Linux player, like VLC?

Debian lists it in all versions from squeeze onwards.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=get-iplayer&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Here is the home website:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

IPlayer is a catch-up service, and they all seem to have different
proprietary interfaces. A quick look suggests that the only OS
downloader for iPlayer is indeed get-iplayer. The BBC is known to be
unhappy about the use of OS software to access its online content
(which most certainly is *not* public domain), partly because the
retention time limit can be avoided by simply copying the files
elsewhere.

And yes, there is an attempt to restrict usage of iPlayer to the UK,
even though no TV license is required in the UK to watch non-live TV.
Presumably some of the content was hired by the BBC on the basis of
UK-only distribution. I would assume that, as with most of these
IP-based schemes, there are proxies available for people outside the UK.

--
Joe