Re: "cloning" a debian installation

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 01:01 +0100, Fabrice Vaillant wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 12:53 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-01-31 at 22:41 +0100, Fabrice Vaillant wrote:
> >> Your solution seems the easiest of the adequate solution I have
> >> received. Howewer I have received a pm about clonezilla which seems like
> >> a tool tailored for this kind of job.
> >> What are the advantage of each solution ?
> >> How do you install a bootloader ?
> >> Can I remove swap from my "new" install (BTW I do not use the hibernate
> >> function)?

> > Please reply to the list only.
> >
> > I've got no knowledge about SSDs, but I suspect partitioning and the
> > needed bootloader are equal to HDDs.
> >
> > >From a live Linux media mount the copied install and after that run
> >
> > sudo chroot /mnt
> >
> > or
> >
> > sudo systemd-nspawn -D /mnt
> >
> > and then
> >
> > grub-install /dev/sda
> >

> Sorry, my bad for not replying to the list.
> Just to be clear, your advice is
> -I first partition the ssd on my existing system
> -I then copy on the different partition my existing file system
> At this point I guess I can remove the previous hdd.
> - From a live media I then run either "sudo chroot /mnt" or "sudo
> systemd-nspawn -D /mnt"
> -and finally "grub-install /dev/sda"
>
> Well that seems quitte doable. Thank's for the advice.

Yesno, I'm not an chroot expert, perhaps before running sudo chroot /mnt
you need to run

sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

you don't need to do it, when using the systemd command.
and you likely need to generate a new grub.cfg after
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
I guess the command to run is
sudo update-grub
I don't use it, since I manually edit grub.cfg.