Re: how to remove ? directory

lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28,January,2014 09:46 PM, Craig L. wrote:

>>> It came when I was trying to mount iphone. Later never tried again.
>>>
>>> Even the root has no right to change the ownership or rm this
>>> directory, I think I will let it be here.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> Most likely you do not have execute permission set on the parent
>> directory.  Can you show us the entire output of ls -al?

> It is so strange, as a user (before I didn't try as user ):

> dr-x------   2 lina lina       0 Jan 28 14:44 .gvfs

> which is under my /home/lina directory.

> while as a root, it shows:

> root@debian:/home/lina# ls -lrta
> ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
> total 4504
> d?????????   ? ?    ?          ?            ? .gvfs

This is the expected output.

/home/$user/.gvfs is mounted as a FUSE filesystem for the logged in user
and the process implementing this (gvfs-fuse) only allows its own user
to access it, not even root.

This is why you see only ???? as root and correct values as the normal
user.

As I said: Everything is fine. Keep calm and carry on!

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.