Re: Viber on Debian

On 28/01/14 11:45, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> LMGTFY I understand and agree with, but why the URL shortening? You only
>> saved...
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=viber
>> ... 2 characters and you also hit innocent bystanders like me :p
>
> BTW, LMGTFY was OK for the "What's viber?" part, but for the "Is
> it libre?" it's a bit trickier since proprietary software usually
> doesn't boast "we're neither Free Software nor Open Source", so your
> only recourse is to either assume it's proprietary because you didn't
> find a Free license, or try to install the program and read the EULA
> (if you don't read it, you may get fooled since some Free Software has
> a stupid "EULA license dialog" even though the user doesn't legally need
> to agree to that license in order to use the software).
>

>         Stefan

Software license? The lazy way is to check wikipedia and see if someone
else has done the license homework.

If it's a regular exercise create a bash script that takes a the name of
the software as positional parameter to check ($?) for it's existence e.g.:-
curl -s --head http://wikipedia.org/wiki/$1 | head -n 1 | grep
"HTTP/1.[01] [23].."

and if it exists, scrape the page for the license e.g.:-
$ curl -s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viber|html2text|grep License|head -n1

For the truly lazy, post the question on debian-user ;)

Hint: the answer is "proprietary"

Apropos Viber, Peachphone, also proprietary, 'might' be useful though I
haven't tried it yet:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flysms-send-webcam-video-by-mm/

Kind regards