Re: Gnome "unrunnable" after upgrade to Wheezy (Was: "Gnome 3 fail scenario")

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > Your system probably older, and lacks the hardware requirements to
> > run GNOME 3 -- mine does, too -- and hence it drops to fallback
> > mode.  The problem is usually the graphics card.
>
> My machine, a "virtual private server," has NO video card. I even
> ran 'Xorg -configure" to get that fact straight from the horse's
> mouth!

If it's running X and a desktop, there's got to be some type of graphic
system whether hard-metal or virtual.  Or does your VPS use the system's
hardware you're logging in from to display the VPS desktop?

> So, firstly, I ought to move this discussion to the Xtightvnc list
> (maybe they have hammered out a workaround), and secondly, check out
> MATE or Cinnamon.

Do you own the hardware your VPS runs on, or does a "service" and you
just purchase space. If the latter, contact their tech support about the
problem. Maybe, they've already solved it.