Gnome "unrunnable" after upgrade to Wheezy (Was: "Gnome 3 fail scenario")

I just upgraded squeeze to wheezy on a remote vps host, a "Linode." Gnome will only launch as far as running the session provided by the gnome-session-fallback' package.

Prior to installing _that_ package gnome's failure was sufficiently hard to prevent the vpn server on the host from launching at all.

If, instead of gnome-session, either xfce4-session or icewm-session is named in the vpn server xstartup file, they come up very nicely, and, hence, so does my vpn server.

Here are the relevant lines from syslog:

-- syslog gluck --

Jan 25 18:52:23 sixtiessurvivor gnome-session[23363]: Gdk-WARNING:
gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :1.#012
Jan 25 18:54:31 sixtiessurvivor gnome-session[23530]: WARNING:
GSIdleMonitor: IDLETIME counter not found
Jan 25 18:54:31 sixtiessurvivor gnome-session[23530]: WARNING: Session
'gnome' runnable check failed: Exited with code 1
Jan 25 18:54:31 sixtiessurvivor gnome-session[23530]: WARNING: Unable to
determine session: Unable to lookup session information for process '23530'
Jan 25 18:54:31 sixtiessurvivor gnome-session[23530]: WARNING: Could not
parse desktop file

-- syslog gluck --

Although I can live with icewm I would rather have my old gnome desktop back!

All best,

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is