Re: Using loop devices in Debian

On 1/26/14, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> *)
> Now you can mount an ISO image, using an available (currently unused)
> loop device, as follows:
> LO_DEV=`losetup -f --show my-iso-file.iso`; echo $LO_DEV
> This command will give you output of the loop device filename chosen
> and used (if successful) by losetup command, and store that in $LO_DEV
> environment variable.

This step is actually not "mounting" the ISO file into your
filesystem, but "binding" the ISO file to a loopback device. The
device file can then be mounted - which was the next step anyway, but
I wanted to make sure this was clarified. It helped me to understand
anyway, and my old notes/wording wasn't up to scratch.