Re: fastest linux distro

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 18:17 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.
>

> System:
>
> Dell latitude D630
> dual core
> 2g memory
>

> most used applications:
>
> icewm
> gnome-terminal
> vim
> perl
> chrome browser
> transmission
>

> Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of it.
>
> Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Differences for speed could exist, e.g. if a distros compile for
different architectures or do use different flags for e.g. the math or
if they use different settings. However, if everything is ok all distros
more or less provide the same performance.

What does slow down your machine using Ubuntu? No culprit shown by the
command "top"?

JFTR startup using upstart or systemd is faster than using init scripts.