Re: apt-get dist-upgrade on shutdown ?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> apt-get upgrade seems to have less "reboot requiring" updates.
>
> There ought be a way to schedule a dist-upgrade, to occur the next
> time I shutdown my computer - not on hibernate/suspend or even logout
> (I work on cmd line here and there).
>
> Doing a dist-upgrade right when I'm shutting the machine down, is
> usually the most convenient time for me (before bedtime or whatever),
> and so this ought be an easy thing to automate/achieve (as an option
> at least).
>
> Another reason to do so, if one is normally in a gui, and running sid,
> is that sometimes gui packages break with an upgrade and a logout at
> least is required. Sometimes a reboot is required.

Well, if you get it running, what I will want to know is whether you
don't find it refusing to shut down just exactly when you need it to
shut down in a hurry.

That happens to me a lot when I'm shutting MSWindows down.

A thought, to reduce the impact, I would tend to want to let it
download n the background if I were going to go with this. Then the
only thing that would be holding you up on shutdown would be the
install part.

I think I'd also like it to query me before it started the install, so
I have a chance to hold the install off when I need to reboot it quick
or something.

Not telling you what to do with  your computer, of course, just
thinking out loud.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.