Re: Debian Users list - signal to noise... is this normal?

On Sat 18 Jan 2014 at 09:31:21 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> If this garbage OT crap ('sad but true Linux sucks', and 'Hey Humans
> I'm a machine') is typical of this list, is there a debian related
> list that doesn't allow such crap to go on and on and on and on and
> on and on ad nauseum?

It is not frequent but it does occur. The 'sad but true Linux sucks'
thread was kicked off by Jarth Berilcosm. It obviously had nothing
to do with Debian; he knew (or suspected) that but, hey, he had time on
his hands and, who knows, there are always fish who will bite. Nobody
should have bit but human nature being what it is ...

So the first one swam along .... Then the next ..... Meanwhile Jarth
Berilcosm had disappeared into the watery blue yonder, never to be seen
again. Maybe he had a guilty conscience or, having gained himself a big
audience, he got stage fright. Or he was upset or disgusted by some of
the responses. After all, who wants to communicate with someone who says
"I couldn't help myself" and have to guide them through the nicities of
self-control or public interaction?

It happens; you live through it. You don't need a moderator as a crutch.

> If it is typical, and there is no other option for list based debian
> support, I guess its time to start building another kill file.

Build your kill file if you must. Then think about what ethos -user
should have and whether your file promotes it.

And dwell on what you will do when the next Jarth Berilcosm comes along.
They are easy to recognise (think of phishing) and easy to ignore.