Re: Procedure? Move existing Wheezy from sda2 to md1

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:22:08 +0100
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Reco a écrit :
> >
> > Given you're using >2Tb disks, GPT would be nessessary, and GRUB2 will
> > fail to install unless you'll create special 'bios_grub' partition.
> >
> > I did similar thing recently, and my setup was:
> >
> > bios_grub partition for grub2 (it failed to boot without it) - 1Mb
> > md0 for grub - 128Mb
> > md1 as a physical volume for the rest of the RAID1.
>
> About md0 : what does "for grub" mean ? There is already a bios_grub
> partition. Do you mean "for /boot" ?

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. 'bios_grub' is an empty small
partition in the beginning of each disk, and the only reason of its'
existence is inability of BIOS to locate MBR in the GPT layout without
said partition.

/boot uses another, separate partitions (which are assembled into
RAID1).

Given that:

a) I can spare 1Mb from each disk for such partition.
b) GPT allows for 128 partitions at least.
c) Back in the squeeze days stock it was recommended to use exactly this
setup for GRUB on GPT.
d) I'm lazy.

I didn't try to use 'bios_grub' partition for conventional ext*
filesystem with GRUB on it.

Reco