Re: Can one do anything useful With an Old USB Apple Dialup Modem?

Martin McCormick, 16.01.2014:
> 	We just switched telephone carriers and our new one has
> callerID so I want to capture that information on a debian
> system.
>
> 	While going through a box of older stuff, I found the
> Apple usb modem my parents were using on their Mac. My father is
> now on regular cable-supplied internet service and we haven't
> used dial-up since about 2000 so here are my questions.
>
> 	The usb modem does it all with DSP so it is little more
> than a bump in a cable with a usb plug on one end and a RJ11 on
> the other. I suspect it is much like a winmodem which is useless
> without the drivers. Does anybody know if these things were
> capable of reading CallerID in the first place?
>
> 	If any part of it is useble in Debian, shouldn't it have
> registered a new device or two in /dev?
>
> 	Here is what it did place in syslog minus all the time
> stamp information:
>
>  usb 4-2.1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
>  usb 4-2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=1401
>  usb 4-2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
>  usb 4-2.1: Product: Apple USB Modem
>  usb 4-2.1: Manufacturer: Motorola, Inc.
>  usb 4-2.1: SerialNumber: 000000
>  usb 4-2.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

It looks like you're out of luck with this modem (though you could
try loading the cdc-acm module as suggested, in case anything got
improved in the years since these reports):

https://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2008/08/msg00035.html