Re: Can one do anything useful With an Old USB Apple Dialup Modem?

Gregory Nowak writes:
> Most likely yes. I have two pci modems here from early 2000. One is a
> hardware modem, the other is a winmodem with no linux drivers. Both
> are 3com modems and can read caller id. This may or may not be true
> for your particular modem. However yes, there are modems from that
> time that can read caller id.

After reading your response, I realized that I was a bit
confusing in that we got off dial-up around 2000. My parents
stayed on dial-up and used that Apple modem until about 2007.
The modem is probably from around 2005 or so as I remember they
caught a lightning hit once and their first usb modem died so
it's not quite as old as I probably lead you to believe.

> Hmmm, interesting. It registers as a sound device, but not as a usb
> serial port. I'd guess that means you might be able to use it as a
> speaker phone, provided it also registered as a usb serial port so you
> could control it. I could be wrong on all this of course. I've used
> regular rs232 modems, and pci cards before, but not a usb attached
> modem.

	Thanks for all the good information. There definitely
was no new /dev/anything as I did a  ls -t on /dev and found
nothing new.

Martin