Re: Problem creating iso for a USB stick

On Thu 16 Jan 2014 at 16:02:00 +0100, Stelian Iancu wrote:

> I am trying to create a USB stick with Wheezy which would auto-install.
> I've managed to create the iso successfully following the instructions
> here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed/EditIso
>
> I've checked the resulting iso with vmware fusion on my mac and it works,
> i.e. it auto-installs Debian successfull.
>
> However, after writing it to a USB stick, it doesn't boot, and I don't know
> why.

What is the output of

   fdisk -l <your_ISO> ?

> The command I used to create the iso is as follows:
>
> xorriso -as mkisofs -D -r -J -joliet-long -L -A "Custom Install CD" -b
> isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -iso-level 3 -no-emul-boot
> -partition_offset 16 -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o ../test.iso
> -isohybrid-mbr /usr/lib/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin ../cd
>
> Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Not really (learning to use xorriso is on my to-do list) but the Debian
images have the command used for their creation in the mkisofs file in
.disk. You could also try the isohybrid command, which comes with the
syslinux package.