Re: Fresh Jessie Install VLC freezes

Resending to the list

On 15/01/14 05:44, Robert Crawford wrote:

>     Please post the output of:-
>     $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list | grep multim
>
>     and:-
>
>     $ dpkg -l vlc
>

>     Kind regards
>

>     --
>
> ​Scott,
>
> Test #1
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org stable main non-free
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
>
> Test #2
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
> +++-==============-============-============-=================================
> ii  vlc            2.1.2-2      i386         multimedia player and streamer
>
> Robert
> ​

There's the problem Robert, deb-multimedia exists to provide an
alternative to how Debian does things - and sometimes that breaks
things. I "suspect" the problem is not the vlc package but some of the
codecs from multimedia that are pulled in with it.
This is a hasty post so I'd appreciate alternative solutions from any
who knows for a fact another fix.

You can confirm the source of vlc with:-
$ apt-cache policy vlc

If you have a choice between installing from Debian or multimedia choose
Debian unless you have a *compelling* reason not to. Pinning and apt-get
-t is the way I do it.

Set up pinning:-
cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/multimedia.pref
Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 200

NOTE that you run Jessie but are pulling stable (Wheezy) and old-stable
(Squeeze) from multi-media. Mix apples with apples.

Change that:-
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/multimedia.list
#apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free

Or:-
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/multimedia.list
#apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free

To fix your existing problem remove vlc and the associated packages then
reinstall from Debian only - that 'should' fix the problem.
# apt-get --purge remove vlc;apt-get autoremove;apt-get remove `deborphan`

NOTE: check the outcome before running any of the above commands by
using the simulate switch (-s) e.g.:-
# apt-get -s --purge remove vlc | more

If the removal of any packages worries you keep a note of it. e.g.:-
# apt-get -s --purge remove vlc > ~/purge_vlc

It's easy to reinstall any packages that may be removed in the process
as you'll probably have a copy of the original in /var/cache/apt/archives

create the preferences file quoted above then:-
# apt-get update
# apt-get install vlc

For future reference with VLC problem there is a Messages option in one
of the drop-down menus, open it, increase the debug level, then restart
the problematic media file to get some useful debug messages.

Kind regards