Samsung CLX4195SN and the Samsung Unified Linux Driver on Debian

Debian Wheezy, stock kernel, ULD tarball downloaded from the Samsung
website and compiled.

I am getting the following error message:
<quote>
The components listed below are necessary for proper Unified Linux
Driver operation. Click Cancel now, install these components from
your Linux distribution CD-ROM or from Linux vendor Web site and then
run Unified Linux Driver Installer again.
You may click Install Anyway to continue installation, but the result
would be unpredictable.
Please click Help for explanations.

- SANE - "Scanner Access Now Easy" - scanner API
</quote>

I am told that this may mean one of two things:
1) It is the wrong version of the driver package for the version of
Debian that I am running.
or
2) the SANE files it needs are not in the location where it is looking
for them, and need copying or moving so that the files are where the
driver package is looking for them.  They recommend copying.

Does anyone know, or is anyone prepared to try to guess, where the
driver may look?  The chap I was talking to seemed to be suggesting
that the driver package would look in /etc/bin/, but I have
no /etc/bin.  I could of course create one.  Do people think that
that is what I ought to do?

I have googled.  I have found the error message, but so far not found
a solution.  One hit suggested that it might need a 2.x series
kernel.  I hope that that is not the solution!  Other than that I
found nothing constructive.

Thanks,
Lisi