Re: How to patch files in a package's debian directory

On 01/14/2014 03:04 PM, Malte Forkel wrote:
Am 14.01.2014 10:44, schrieb Alex Mestiashvili:
I am also interested in possible solutions, but I would use git with 2
branches - one for debian package, and one for the modified version.

This way by switching between branches you can build packages you need.

Using git is probably a good idea. I've briefly looked at packaging with
git a couple of times before, but never got around to actually using it.
Can I stick with the source format 3.0 (quilt) that the upstream
packager uses and still manage the project's sources or just the debian
directory with git?
Usually if a package maintained in a git repository than the whole source is in git, but in different branches:

Upstream sources are kept (in plain, uncompressed form) in the upstream branch. The data needed to regenerate original source tarballs from the upstream branch are kept with the help of the pristine-tar(1) tool in the pristine-tar branch. Upstream sources are merged with Debian-specific changes in the master branch, which is the usual place to work in.

taken from here: http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html

In theory it should be fine to have one more branch with your local modifications, but I don't know if it will work with git-buildpackage out of box.

I think this kind of questions are best answered in debian-mentors mailing list or IRC.

Best regards,
Alex