Fwd: Re: PXE install, without internet?

Resending to correct location

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: PXE install, without internet?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:02:14 +1100
From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>
To: Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com>

On 12/01/14 01:29, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Thanks for replying Scott,appreciated your time and effort.
>
> If I do apt-cdrom add, It will look for the cd-rom right, not the iso.

Yes.

> So I'll first need to mount the iso somewhere and tweak the
> sources.list to point to a file, rather than a dvd.

Or just temporarily symlink to where the cdrom is.

If the first box (PXE server) is already built, make that the
apt-cacher-ng server, and add the contents to any DVDs to it
(apt-cacher-ng). i.e. don't do the apt-cdrom add

set the proxy on the pxe server to localhost:3142 using
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90proxy or (/etc/apt/apt.conf)

Then add proxy to any new machines as http://pxeserver:3142
After that any box will get it's packages from the pxeserver. If the
pxeserver doesn't have them it'll pull them from whatever repository
*and* release is requested (a mirror can't do that).

On the other hand if you do run a mirror you 'could' make it public and
help other Debian users in your local area. Your budget and bandwidth
may be deciding factors.

Apt-cacher-ng is fast, simple, and has a nice web-interface for
management purposes.
http://103.1.185.162/images/misc/apt-cacher-ng.jpg

> And yes, one box is already ready with debian 7 32 bits, which is also
> a PXE server and I'll be now using the same server to install 64 bit
> version of debian on 20 PCs. (Which are 32 bit debian now)
>
> Thanks a lot again :)

Kind regards