Daisy player applications that did not go out with the ark :-(

I have two separate but related problems.

1. I can find no up to date daisy playing software that will run on
Linux.  Suggestions, please?

2. I have installed the Debian Wheezy package "daisy-player", although
it appears not to have been maintained for a while.  It "plays" - but
there is no sound.  I have googled, and as a result installed aumix,
which did not help but messed up my sound settings.  It is now
unistalled and I have reset alsamixer.  So I have sound again for
other applications, but not for daisy-player.

I know that we have several visually challenged people on this list.
Has anyone met and solved this problem?

Thanks,
Lisi