Re: audio dropouts still

On 1/10/14, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> CPU frequency scaling has to be set to a fixed frequency, e.g. to
> performance. Ondemand likely will cause audio glitches, that might not
> be visible as xruns.

That makes sense. Thank you for the suggestion.

I've
* installed and read about cpufreqd and cpufreqtools;

* battled with gnome-panel to try the gnome-applets
/usr/lib/gnome-applets/cpufreq-applet (dunno, but it looks like it's
not one of the three "cpu" type applets which XFCE allows me to
install in my xfce4-panel) - gnome-panel sat on top of xfce4-panel,
and killing it it kept coming back from the grave - finally brought up
"Settings -> Session -> Session" from xfce4 desktop menu (luckily
enabled), since my xfce4 panel was hidden, and killed gnome-panel from
there;

* I have three applets installed on my xfce4-panel:
"CPU Graph"
"System Load Monitor"
"CPU Frequency Monitor"
This last one, when I click on it, brings up "CPU Information" window
which allows me to choose from available frequencies for each cpu (it
seems), and also allows (it seems) for me to change the governor
between "performance" and "powersave", per-cpu (it seems).
It looks as though I should be able to set one of the CPU's to a
higher frequency;
in any case, each time I close the window, and bring it back up, my
"settings" are not in effect.

* read this page:
https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling
which possibly relates to older kernels? I'm running sid - uname -a:
Linux x220a02 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.8-1 (2013-11-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

and now trying the last link on that Debian web page - Arch linux info.

I would like to know if I can choose to set the CPU cores, at least
one of them, to a fixed frequency, say 1.5GHz. Is this possible?

Otherwise, is there another web page I might read to figure out how to
actually control what my CPUs are doing, from an
audio-glitches-minimization perspective?

Thanks again
Zenaan