Re: Number of Procs

On 1/9/2014 6:52 AM, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> On 01/08/2014 10:41 AM, Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda wrote:
>> hudson@musix:~$ free -m
>>               total       used       free     shared    buffers
>> cached
>> Mem:           435        412         22          0          2         74
>> -/+ buffers/cache:        334        100
>> Swap:         1057        143        914

> In 2014, that's a pretty meager amount of memory. Going into swap tells
> a tale, too. If possible, consider adding memory.

Before replacing the SO-DIMM with a larger one...

The host has 512MB of RAM and apparently 64MB is peeled off for the
integrated GPU, with the remainder of the ~77MB difference apparently
eaten by BIOS shadowing, etc.

The first thing I would do is jump into the BIOS config and reduce the
GPU memory to the minimum allowed, if it will go lower than 64.  The OP
doesn't currently have enough RAM to run compiz or openGL apps and is
surely not currently doing so.  If he is, that's the source of the
problem right there.

If this laptop allows a shared GPU memory size as low as, say, 4MB, that
would free 60MB more RAM for Linux.  That may not be enough to
completely solve the slowness issues, but it should surely help to some
degree.  If the lowest allowed in 32MB that's still an additional 32MB
for Linux.

--
Stan