vagrant [Was: Re: packages status]

On 2014-01-08 04:44, Diogene Laerce wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> [...] I would like to automate the installation process from
>>> scratch to a django development platform. But forgot to note
>>> every modification from the very beginning. ^^ :)
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "development platform", but for
>> standardized/customized development/testing environments,
>> vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) is quite useful.  It makes it
>> very easy to create, use, and share custom virtual machines.
>
> Actually I didn't know vagrant but I was going to use ansible to
> do about the same job. The vagrant documentation provides an
> explanation on how to use them as a synergy so : thank you ! ;)

You're welcome.

>> The only downside is that it is not configured very securely by
>> default.

To expand on the insecure configuration: by default, vagrant:
* listens to *:2222 allowing anyone on the local network to access
your VM (unless firewalled).
* uses a known ssh key pair and user password.
* shares the folder containing the Vagrantfile with the VM, allowing
someone who manages to access/compromise the VM access to the
Vagrantfile, which allows him to inject ruby code that you will run
when using vagrant the next time.

All of these can be fixed.  I've written some instructions a while
back on how to create a secure (ubuntu) base box yourself:
https://gist.github.com/obfusk/5768197

> The less scripting I need to do the better, anyway. :)
>
> Lots of reading to come..

Have fun.

- - Felix