Re: packages status

Is there a simple way to get the list of packages installed since the fresh
installation of deby ?
How long ago was your fresh installation?  There are backups of the
dpkg package status kept in /var/backups that go back a week.  And if
you have a system backup you could retrieve older copies going back as
far as your backups.  Those files list what is installed on the
machine and could be used to make this deduction.

   $ zcat /var/backups/dpkg.status.6.gz | grep-dctrl -s Package -n "install ok installed" | sort > /tmp/list.prev

   $ grep-status -s Package -n "install ok installed" | sort > /tmp/list.now

   $ comm -3 /tmp/list.prev /tmp/list.now
Thanks a lot Mister Bob, it worked like a charm ! The install was nearly
fresh, just 6 or 7 days and I didn't know those dctrl-tools commands so
double thanks again. ;)

I start a script with those right now. :)
Better to separate out the top level packages and install those (which
marks them as manual) and let them automatically installed their
dependencies (which marks them as automatic) rather than install
everything (which marks the libs as manual too).  Meaning that those
libraries will never be offered for "autoremove" later when they are
no longer needed due to upgrades.

You can use the 'apt-mark' command to list and change these.

   apt-mark showmanual
   apt-mark showauto
   apt-mark auto libfoopackagename

Thanks for the explanation. ;)

I didn't think of that the first time but thanks to you I have now the final
list of manually installed packages.

Though, I had a few packages in the list which I did remove manually cos
I don't use them : swat, rpcbind, nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server and minissdpd
and that still appeared in the list so I used : "comm -1 -3" instead. :)

You didn't say so I don't know why you wanted to know the package
differences.

I would like to automate the installation process from scratch to a django
development platform. But forgot to note every modification from the
very beginning. ^^ :)

   I wanted to mention the above so that if possible you
could still track packages installed manually versus packages
installed automatically as a dependency.  It will keep the
"autoremove" functionality working for later as the system is upgraded
and keep things cleaner.

Thanks for that and for all again, it will definitely help for the future developments.

--
“One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.”
“Le vrai n'est pas plus sûr que le probable.”

                                              Diogene Laerce