Re: New to Debian (Gentoo user) - package management

On 2014-01-05 01:43, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:31:35PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> On Friday 03 January 2014 14:16:34 Brian wrote:
>>> The '-s' can be omitted if more than one package is to
>>> installed.
>>
>> i.e., if you are requesting more than one package, it will tell
>> you what it is going to install before doing it anyway.  You need
>> the -s for one package, because if you have only asked for one
>> package it otherwise just goes right ahead and installs it.
>
> I've always looked on it as; if you didn't ask for a particular
> package to be installed then it won't do it without your
> permission.

Indeed.  I prefer aptitude to apt-get (and I'm assuming their
behaviour regarding installing packages not requested is the same --
correct me if I'm wrong).  When installing the packages you requested
does not result in more packages being installed, it just installs
them; otherwise it prompts.  And aptitude has the -P option to always
prompt.

@Tanstaafl:

Also, the -s option simulates the installation of packages (dry run,
like --pretend w/ emerge).  But if you use aptitude -P, you get a
prompt you can cancel.  Also, aptitude safe-upgrade/full-upgrade
always prompts before upgrading.

Also, aptitude has a TUI (and minesweeper), but no super cow powers
(apt-get moo vs aptitude moo).

The FAQ:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html,
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en.html.

The Reference:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_basic_package_management_operations.

The Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/Apt.

The handbook: http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/apt.html.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool.

Also, the apt-get and aptitude man pages are pretty comprehensive.

And then there's also dpkg, dpkg-reconfigure, apt-cache, apt-file,
apt-show-versions, apt-listbugs, apt-listchanges, apt-rdepends,
update-alteratives, apt_preferences, debconf, etc.

Enjoy.

- - Felix