Re: Problems while using Tor Browser on Debian 7

On 2014-01-06 20:17, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 01:21 +0600, Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
>> Hi, I have installed Tor on Debian 7 but couldn't use it.
>> Viladia is showing the following errors: /*[Warning] Could not
>> bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Cannot assign requested address*//*
>> *//*[Warning] /var/run/tor is not owned by this user
>> (tranjeeshan, 1000) but by debian-tor (115). Perhaps you are
>> running Tor as the wrong user?*//* *//*[Warning] Before Tor can
>> create a control socket in "/var/run/tor/control", the directory
>> "/var/run/tor" needs to exist, and to be accessible only by the
>> user account that is running Tor.  (On some Unix systems, anybody
>> who can list a socket can connect to it, so Tor is being
>> careful.)*//* *//*[Warning] Failed to parse/validate config:
>> Failed to bind one of the listener ports.*/
>>
>> Now how can I make Tor work? Thanking you, Muntasim-Ul-haque
>
> Hello Muntasim!
>
> From your description I'm guessing this might be a port collision
> problem. "debian-tor" is a special user you can create to run the
> tor process and it defaults the socks host to port 9050. Vidalia
> is a different software which AFAIK has been discontinued and runs
> its own tor instance. If both are running and configured to use
> the same socks host, the second one wouldn't be able to handle the
> port which is in use by a different process.
>
> So the question is, how did you install tor?

Indeed.

Vidalia was a Tor GUI used by the Tor Browser Bundle (but not any
more, are you using the latest Tor Browser Bundle?).  The Tor Browser
Bundle (which is the recommended way to use Tor) includes Tor, so you
don't need to install it yourself (and probably shouldn't).  In fact,
it would seem you do have it installed (via apt) and you can't use
both at the same time because they use the same port.

Removing the debian tor package should fix the Browser Bundle.

- - Felix