Re: stable mix testing

On 2014-01-07 20:16, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hi all! I've a strange problem: debian stable with mate desktop:
> with only stable sources list I don't have any upgrade to do, I
> added testing repository like it:
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> # STABLE deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
> non-free deb-src http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> contrib non-free deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates
> main contrib non-free deb-src http://security.debian.org/
> stable/updates main contrib non-free # MATE deb
> http://repo.mate-desktop.org/debian wheezy main # TESTING deb
> http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>
> /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: * Pin: release a=stable Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: * Pin: release a=testing Pin-Priority: 500
>
> apt-get upgrade
>
> The following packages will be upgraded: libfaac0 libsqlite3-0
> mate-backgrounds mate-icon-theme mate-themes
>
> Also commenting mate repository I've same problem. I need keep
> debian stable and upgrade only one package. Is this because mate
> has become to debian (testing?). How keep whole debian stable and
> install a package (only one yes -) from testing? Any idea?
>
> thanks!

(It's been a while since I used apt pinning, but IIRC) if you only
want a single package from testing, you should probably Pin all
packages from testing to something like -10, and Pin that specific
package from testing to the same priority as stable.  e.g.

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: some-package
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Or you could pin testing, but not pin the package at all and simply
install some-package=some-version.

You can check the priorities w/ 'apt-cache policy'.

- - Felix