Re: SteamOS: Derived from Debian 7

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:48:25 -0800
David Guntner <david@guntner.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, I guess you're creating a "SteamMachine" in the sense that the
> install software will completely wipe out whatever is already on the
> hard drive (is that what you were referring to?).

No, no. I mean that there will be (in fact, already are, but not quite
reached the market yet) the original console device by Valve, called
"SteamMachine", with SteamOS as it's operating system. There'll be many
different flavours of "SteamMachines" with different hardware specs.
SteamOS is pretty much the side result of a SteamMachine campaign.
While it's possible to install SteamOS on your PC, I just don't
see much sense in it, to be honest, as every game ported to SteamOS,
should also work on Ubuntu/Debian/whatever.

I'm aware that SteamOS should be a pretty full-featured Linux
distribution (at least, I hope so, and it looks this way). Still, Valve
themselves say "SteamOS will not replace your primary OS, it is a
"living room OS"", which obfuscates things a bit. So I guess the only
way to find out for sure what it's really about is to go ahead and
install it.

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Best wishes,
Alex S.