Re: something triggering my screensaver timeout (login dialog) - sid, xfce

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:17:37AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> OK, time for some cannons:
>
> I wrote a brief wrapper script for xscreensaver and
> xscreensaver-command, and redirected the /usr/bin/ versions to my
> versions which output two lines to a log file. Heres some output:
>
> /home/justa/bin/xscreensaver-command -version
> Monday 6 January 00:11:15 EST 2014
> /home/justa/bin/xscreensaver-command -version
> Monday 6 January 00:11:45 EST 2014
> /home/justa/bin/xscreensaver-command -version
> Monday 6 January 00:12:15 EST 2014
> /home/justa/bin/xscreensaver-command -version
>
> SO! Every 30 seconds, /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -version is being
> called by SOMETHING, which is causing xscreensaver to wake up, it
> seems!

What about lsof(1)¹
man lsof
[...]

+|-r [t[m<fmt>]]
	puts lsof in repeat mode.  There lsof lists open files as
	selected  by  other  options,  delays  t  seconds (default
	fifteen), then repeats the listing, delaying and listing
	repetitively until stopped by a condition.
	[...]

Good luck with actually getting it working. :)

> Any ideas how I might debug this further?
> Eg, is it possible to determine what's calling  xscreensaver-command ?

Hopefully, you'll soon find out. :)

¹ For debugging, not that lsof could be the cause.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X