Re: why linux can't see my memory

On 06/01/14 23:48, Long Wind wrote:
> knoppix CD doesn't seem to be able to boot

If Knoppix can't boot I'd be very surprised.
Is the Knoppix CD corrupted? (do an md5sum check)
Which boot parameters did you use? (don't just hit Enter and pray).

If "knoppix 2 mem=xM" doesn't work try "knoppix 2 mem=xM no=acpi" or
"knoppix 2 mem=xM acpi=force".  Use the F1 - F4 keys at the boot screen
to read all the Knoppix boot parameters.

Make sure that "x" is an actual real value in MB as shown by POST.

> as I can boot woody,

Woody does not support PAE or 64-bit so will probably *not* work with
your memory hole problem.
http://madduck.net/blog/2009.11.18:ram-reclaimed-mystery-solved/

> is there any dmidecode equivalence in woody?

I don't know. Woody might have had dmidecode, you'll have to install it
and find out.
I would never have suggested you installed in the first place. It's
probably too old to support your mb, you'll have a lot of problems with
the packages as it hasn't been maintained for years - and you'll have to
change sources.list to point at the archived repository.

It's possible you don't understand the difference between a Live CD and
a "non-live" installation CD.  A Live CD just boots and runs - you don't
even need a hard drive.
Woody is an install CD. You would need to spend at least half-an-hour
(trying to) install it before you could use dmidecode. IMO that would be
a waste of time.

Kind regards