Re: Postfix - run script from email

On 12/7/2013 6:58 AM, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> I also have a number of remote, normally unattended, locations, with
> dynamic IPs, containing IP cameras to keep an eye on things. I'm not
> able to access/change the camera firmware. These cameras send me an
> email if their IP changes, containing the new IP address.

I think you're attacking this from the wrong angle.  Whether these
cameras are on a private RFC 1918 network or a public broadband network,
you should be able to accomplish your goals without need of SMTP emails.

If broadband you must have a DSL/cable modem/router in front of the
camera with public IP on the provider side and private IP on the inside.
 Use dynamic DNS on the public interface to get name<->IP resolution of
the modem/router.  On the router, configure the DHCP server to only
assign one IP address, or a range that starts and ends with the same
address.  Create a NAT rule for the camera IP/port.  From then on access
the camera by fqdn, not IP.

If this is a totally private network you can assign sticky static
addresses in your DHCP server so that each IP camera always receives the
same address on lease renewal.

No email required.

--
Stan