Re: Recovering my USB-Key content

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:21:58AM +0200, Jean-Marc wrote:
> Hi the list,
>
> The partition table of my USB-key has gone and I got some read-error
> messages.
>
> I recovered the files stored on it using photorec but it is a little
> bit a raw-recover splitted into generic directories with generic
> names.
>
> I tried then testdisk but, except the fact that testdisk told me the
> key is almost full, it cannot get anything back, no part table, no
> backup.
>
> I will make a raw copy using dd to keep a backup.
>
> But afterward, I do not know what to do (I still have no time to
> search for a solution).
> The only thing coming n mind is to recreate a new part table.
>
> Any idea, suggestion, commands+parms are welcome.

You can use gpart to guess the partition table.  But if it's a usb stick
with a single partition, just use fdisk to create the partition again
It won't erase any data -- only a mkfs command will do that.

If you decide to use fdisk, the commands are something like this (from
memory):

fdisk /dev/sdx (specify your usb device)
n (create a new partition)
p (primary partition)
enter (accept the default starting cylinder)
enter (accept the default ending cylinder)
w (write the partition table)

Now try to mount the usb stick and see what happens.  If it doesn't
work, just fdisk again and delete the partition.

-Rob