Re: Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300

On Fri 06 Dec 2013 at 15:50:47 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

[Snipped to shorten this mail, although I agree with most of what was
said.]

> Also while I personally rather like the command line ifupdown process
> and configuration I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.  I am not even
> using it myself on my laptop.  On my laptop I am using wicd.  I would
> get the wicd configuration working.  I WOULD NOT recommend trying the
> /etc/network/interfaces ifupdown configuration on a mobile device.  I
> WOULD recommend it if you want a non-mobile headless configuration.
> It is perfect there.

Many people use network-manager; I imagine this is mainly because it
gets installed for them. wicd users appear to be refugees fleeing the
real or perceived vagaries of the default network setup software. In
both cases the ability to troubleshoot failed connections does not seem
straightforward.

Network-manager and wicd depend on wpasupplicant. Personally I would
rather deal with the organ grinder than one of the monkeys.

I am going to quote from a mail from a wpasupplicant maintainer:

> The most simple case, one static wlan definition, no roaming:
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> 	wpa-ssid <whatever>
>	wpa-psk <whatever>

Success or not with these four lines (after disabling n-m/wicd) gives a
starting point for further investigation.

> Simple roaming, 2 example networks (with differing priorities) and
> catch-all for open networks, this allows automatic roaming between the
> defined network setups:
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> face wlan0 inet manual
>	wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf
>
> iface home_network inet dhcp
> iface my_work_net inet dhcp
>iface default inet dhcp
>

> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=netdev
>
> network={
>	priority=25
>	ssid="whatever"
>	id_str="home_network"
>	proto=WPA2
>	pairwise=CCMP
>	group=CCMP
>	psk="whatever"
> }
>

> network={
>	priority=10
>	ssid="whatever"
>	id_str="my_work_net"
>	proto=WPA2
>	pairwise=CCMP
>	group=CCMP
>	psk="whatever"
> }
>

> network={
>	priority=1
>	ssid=""
>	key_mgmt=NONE
> }

If wanted, a graphical user interface for roaming is wpagui. The Debian
documentation for wpasupplicant is also very good. Newcomers to Debian
might have the same pleasant experience on a mobile device as I have had
after following similar advice to this.