Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Friday, December 06, 2013 04:55:11 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> To click and type a search term for many _users_ is easier to do than to
> remember a command they only need once every 2 years and than to add a
> cryptic search syntax.

This is a very good statement, one worth rephrasing:
    It is much easier for most users to click and type a search term than it
    is for them to remember a command or cryptic search syntax that they use
    only once every couple years.
It is an essential element of the study of Human Factors in Computing.

This is part of 'use the right tool for the job' philosophy. For the most
part, aptitude works well for me. But there are times I need something that is
in a package, but I don't know *which* package. I'd gladly use a touch-n-feel
interface for this purpose if it saves me a couple hours of chasing down
something I can't quite remember.

Since most users are not experts, they deserve to have 'the right tools' at
their fingertips. And they deserve to have tools whose authors acknowledge
other tools' strength.