Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fr, 2013-12-06 at 17:19 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> That does not mean that I am against graphic output. Ralf's sound
> samples and my graphs and icons are graphical objects. With you can
> have several terminals and copy and paste text among each other.
>
> What I don't like is the position "You MUST use this" or "This is
> modern=>good, that is old=>obsolete" (and running daemons that you
> don't need, of course).

+1

Usually it's possible to make a lot of the hard dependencies optional,
IOW recommended/suggested dependencies.

I have to mention that I run jackd without dbus, but depending to the
used distro at least libdbus could be a hard dependency, e.g. for
Debian. Some other distros have separated, conflicting packages, jackd
and jackd-dbus, e.g. Arch Linux. For jackd it's not too much work to
handle this, but separating udev from systemd likely is a little bit
more work to do, not to mention that GNOME does force to install a sound
server that is know to be buggy and to brake audio. Policy-kit and even
systemd or 3D acceleration could become hard dependencies without a
valid reason. This thread started with the 3D acceleration issue ;).

This is the policy of GTK/GNOME, the only freedom is not to use
GTK/GNOME, if you use anything depending to it, then you don't have
freedom the way you want it to use. They try to enforce as much as they
can, hence all the warnings and hard dependencies. The warnings are
simply annoying and the nonsense hard dependencies can be easily avoided
by installing dummy packages. Nothing will break when you replace
pulseaudio and gvfs with an empty package. You only can't use pulseaudio
and gvfs if you replace them by dummy packages. Well, I also couldn't
use pulseaudio, if I would install it, audio wouldn't work if I would
install it.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: And I really thought there was nothing more to add to this thread.