Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fr, 2013-12-06 at 12:51 +0400, Reco wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:39:03AM +0100, François Patte wrote:
> > It could a nice choice, but there are many things to fix! I made the
> > choice of xfce at my wheezy install and as I use terminals and cli to
> > launch my stuff, there are a lot of warnings, for instance:
> >
> > when I quit evince:
> >
> > (evince:30376): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed:
> > GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> > org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
>
> Try installing evince-gtk instead of evince.
>
> > with acroread (on start):
> >
> > (acroread:30504): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> > module_path: "xfce",
>
> The acroread needs i386 libraries from gtk2-engines-xfce package.

GTK is a PITA and will always cause similar warnings, but GTK also does
cause really serious issues, if you e.g. launch a GNOME editor with root
privileges, the Microsoft like config thingy's privileges change to root
and GNOME apps don't work for the user anymore. This are not Xfce, KDE
etc. bugs and they are also not Debian related, this is caused by
GTK/GNOME upstream's ignorance. GTK and GNOME are crap. Very likely that
even GNOME doesn't continue using GTK, LXDE for good reasons switches
from GTK to Qt.

--
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/13/wikileaks-trans-pacific-partnership-chapter-secret
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/wikileaks-veroeffentlicht-copyright-kapitel-von-handelsabkommen-a-933401.html