Re: Why Debian

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

On 8 Nov 2013 14:15, "Alberto Salvia Novella" <es20490446e@gmail.com> wrote:
> Summarizing:
>
> Which are the very important reasons why do you prefer Debian over Ubuntu?

Why to use a Debian based OS if you can use Debian?

My best,
Beco.

Why do I use Debian?

Freedom.

I started playing with Linux about 10 years ago with Knoppix then when I wanted to go to more than A live CD, I tried Fedora and then built a couple of Linux from Scratch builds (If I had time I think I would prefer this for all my builds).  I didn't like how it seemed that Fedora/Red Hat went their own direction with config files and such.  In the meantime, I switched an AIX box to Red Hat 3.0(Distro wasn't my choice.  I was just glad to get it on Linux.) and have been supporting a business system on it for 8 years now.  I tried Ubuntu and like others have said, didn't like vibe it gave off.  I know that's not a very good reason for dumping a distro, but even back then, I didn't like what they where doing with the desktop.  I explored other options like Gentoo, Cent, Mandriva, and others, but Debian has and still allows me to build the system I want from Debootstrap and only install the packages I want above and beyond that.  It's a quick process and easy to configure and maintain.  Except for a few problems I generally run testing and am perfectly happy with it.  My installs are small without added bloat and only those services that are needed on the box are running.  Since I started virtualizing with Xen, this ability has become in even more valuable.

Shane

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator